More pictures at bauergriffinonline.com
Rooster Cogburn can’t do nothing for you, son — nothing but entertain, that is, as the one-eyed, hard-drinking lawman currently enjoys his stint as the most-watched hero in theaters across the country.
After three weeks at the box office, Joel and Ethan Coen’s “True Grit” has emerged with a shiny gold medal for its very first weekend victory. The Western, starring Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon, roped in a winning reward worth $15 million over the weekend, a modest result but enough to secure first place. “True Grit” currently stands atop a domestic gold mine worth $110.4 million, easily the Coen brothers’ single-best performer of all time with virtually no signs of slowing down in sight.
As Cogburn’s quest to bag-and-tag the cowardly Tom Chaney and Lucky Ned Pepper’s gang continued to electrify moviegoers everywhere this past weekend, Ben Stiller and Robert De Niro’s “Little Fockers” lost its grasp on audiences. The comedy threequel fell to second place, earning $13.8 million and bringing its current tally up to $124 million.
The first new wide release of 2011 landed with a dud, as “Season of the Witch” tracked down a measly $10.7 million bounty from Friday through Sunday. Starring Nicolas Cage and Ron Perlman as a pair of Crusades-era warriors escorting a suspected witch to a faraway monastery, “Season of the Witch” failed to make an impression with the moviegoing masses, barely putting a dent into its $40 million production budget.
The fourth place “Tron: Legacy” continued on its path towards clearing its production budget, while “Black Swan” managed yet another impressive showing by earning an $8.4 million fifth-place finish. “Country Strong,” which expanded into wide release over the weekend, performed decently with $7.3 million to its name.
The actor inists the rights are available, and he’d happily make the movie with director Paul Greengrass at the helm.
Despite saying he wasn’t against Universal’s plans to continue the series without him and Greengrass, Damon has made it clear he resents the way he found out, hearing about it through the press, like everybody else.
Damon told Empire, “No one told me, literally nobody called me. People think I have inside information, but you can get a sense of where I am in the pecking order.
“I’d do it again with Paul. Universal doesn’t actually own the Bourne character – the estate does – so technically I could go to Warner Bros… and Universal could read about it online.”
Matt Damon played the amnesiac assassin in three movies between 2002 and 2007, while Paul Greengrass helmed the second two movies, Supremacy and Ultimatum, to much critical acclaim.
Last summer Universal announced plans for a fourth movie, which would feature characters from the previous movies, but wouldn’t include Jason Bourne himself, nor would it be directed by Greengrass. Universal did, however, leave the door open for Damon’s return.
The duo, who teamed up to give us the Bourne Trilogy would, according to Matt Damon, be well within their rights to make their own movie based on the famous spy novels as Universal don’t own the exclusive rights to Jason Bourne’s adventures. Judging from his interview with Empire, it seems that Matt Damon is pretty annoyed that no one has informed him on an official level about Universal’s intentions to make a new Bourne movie without him and Paul Greengrass…
“No one told me, literally nobody called me. People think I have inside information, but you can get a sense of where I am in the pecking order. I’d do it again with Paul [Greengrass]. Universal doesn’t actually own the Bourne character – the estate does – so technically I could go to Warner Bros… and Universal could read about it online.”
The star features in all three of the current films, as action star Jason Bourne. But late last year rumours circle that Matt would not be reprising his role.
Now the star has confirmed that bosses are planning on taking the Bourne films forward without him, revealing he only found out they were planning to make a fourth movie after he found out over the internet.
‘I read online they are doing another Jason Bourne movie with Tony Gilroy directing that I’m not in,’ the Sun reports the angry star as saying.
Now it’s thought Matt might even make his own version of the new Bourne movie, along with director of the previous three films, Paul Greengrass.
‘I’d do it again with Paul. Universal doesn’t actually own the Bourne character – the estate does – so technically I could go to Warner Bros… and Universal could read about it online,’ he said.
Will the Bourne films be the same without Matt Damon? Or would you like to see the star make more of the hit movies? Let us know your thoughts in the comments box below.
The CDC is starring in a new film with Matt Damon, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Gwyneth Paltrow and Laurence Fishburne.
The movie, “Contagion,” is filming some scenes today over at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If you work or live over that way, expect more traffic than usual, given all the crew and gear.
The movie has been allowed onto the campus of the CDC, to film some exterior shots, but isn’t shooting inside the building.
The production did a good bit of filming in Chicago before heading to Atlanta, and it’ll be here for a while. We hear that in addition to the CDC/Emory area the film will be shooting some in Decatur as well as downtown Atlanta. Based on what we’re hearing, it sounds like the downtown W hotel might be a good spot to keep your eyes peeled for a star encounter.
The movie is billed as a bio-med drama, where a team of doctors must race to find a cure for a deadly epidemic. It’s the second project here recently to feature the CDC in its plot line. The final episodes of the first season of AMC’s “The Walking Dead” set scenes in the CDC, but did not actually film there. Instead, the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre played the role of the CDC.
Unlike “The Walking Dead,” the movie “Contagion” doesn’t feature zombies – and doesn’t plan to have the CDC explode.
Matt Damon chatted up an impromptu circle of female fans while on set for his newest film Contagion on Thursday in Western Springs, Illinois.
The film itself stars four Oscar winners: Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Marion Cotillard and Kate Winslet, as doctors and ordinary citizens who have no choice but to try to contain the outbreak of a deadly virus.
More photos at celebuzz.com.