Tuesday February 2nd, 2010 · by Annie

‘Bourne’ Franchise May Continue With A Matt Damon-Less Prequel

Plans for a fourth “Bourne” movie stalled late last year when director Paul Greengrass walked away from the franchise and star Matt Damon followed, stating he wouldn’t do the sequel with anybody else. But the actor remained hopeful of his participation in the series, telling MTV News in December, “I think it’s going to happen someday.”

Damon continues to see himself in the role, more recently telling Empire that he and Greengrass are “probably another five years away” from the next chapter. But the next installment may be another thing entirely. Damon believes Universal will keep the franchise alive in the meantime with a feature-length flashback.

“There’ll probably be a prequel of some kind with another actor and another director before we do another one,” he told the British magazine while promoting the UK release of “Invictus.”

What such a prequel would consist of is now something for us “Bourne” fans to wonder about. The last film, “The Bourne Ultimatum,” seemed to clear up the character’s origins adequately through flashbacks and exposition. So maybe such a film would follow Jason on his pre-amnesia missions, in which the killing-machine character would be portrayed as more of an anti-hero.

Actually, a “Bourne” prequel seems a lot like “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” to me. Would Danny Huston again take over for Brian Cox? Would we see an early mission including all the Treadstone assassins? Younger actors filling in for Clive Owen, Marton Csokas, Russell Levy and that guy who awkwardly jumps to his death in “The Bourne Idenity”?

Or, maybe it will just be a romantic comedy about the affair between Jason and Nicky (Julia Stiles’ character). I’m really curious how that relationship could have possibly happened, however serious it was, given what we’ve seen of the characters over the course of the trilogy.

Would you be okay with the “Bourn” franchise continuing with a prequel? A Reboot? What would you like to see in a pre-amnesia “Bourne” movie?

Source

Tags: Movie News
Tuesday February 2nd, 2010 · by Annie

Matt Damon Will Not Star in Fourth “Bourne” Film

Matt Damon is ditching the successful “Bourne” series, and will not star in the series’ fourth film. Damon, who played government agent Jason Bourne in the last three movies, admitted that the franchise’s future remains uncertain but expects that the next film will be a prequel to the original 2002 “Bourne Identity” movie.

He said:

“I don’t know you know. I think it will be a prequel of some kind with another actor and another director before we do another one.
I think we are probably five years away from another one. We gotta get a script. If you have any ideas please call Universal.”

Previously, Damon had said that he hoped to start work on a new Bourne movie in 2011. Later, however, he admitted that he wasn’t sure if he’d sign up again after director Paul Greengrass’ departure.

Damon, 39, would now rather spend his time focusing on directing, but only if the right project comes along.

“I want a simple little human story. Something like Good Will Hunting or something that’s smaller like that. Nothing too tricky the first time.

I don’t know if I’ll be in it. I’d prefer not to be. I’ve heard from other people and Ben told me it’s tough, it’s a lot of hard work.”

Source: clevelandleader.com

Tags: Movie News