With Paul Greengrass set to direct again
The Bourne Reunion is officially official (though it’s not called The Bourne Reunion that we know of). E! News tracked Matt Damon down to a red carpet in Hollywood this weekend, and he’s confirmed that he and Paul Greengrass will indeed both return for a new outing of the action franchise.
“Yes, next year,” Damon told E!’s team. “It’ll be in 2016 when the movie will actually come out. Paul Greengrass is going to do another one and that’s all I ever said. I just needed him to say yes.” Damon was out promoting the new series of his filmmaking competition reality show Project Greenlight that is returning to US cable channel HBO.
And the news was initially brought up by Damon’s pal and Greenlight collaborator Ben Affleck, who was asked to compare their muscle tone given his recent Bat-workouts: “Well, Matt’s going to be doing a Bourne movie next fall when I’ve just completely lost any semblance of physical fitness…”
Damon and Greengrass have said on the record that they had no plans to revisit a story they felt they had already told. But then, they have both also mooted a potential return if the right script could be written and they could work together again, and that is the case now. With Damon’s comments, it appears the new Jason Bourne-focused film will indeed inherit the July 15, 2016 release slot that had been handed to the Bourne Legacy follow-up that Justin Lin is developing to direct.
EW has confirmed that Matt Damon will be starring in Alexander Payne’s new film, Downsizing.
The film, according to Deadline, is a social satire that follows a down-on-his-luck man who decides he can have a better life if he undergoes a process to shrink himself. It’s set at 20th Century Fox and Payne’s production company Ad Hominem Enterprises and will be written by Payne and Sideways co-writer Jim Taylor.
EW has also confirmed that the film will pull him out of starring in Zhang Yimou’s epic film, The Great Wall, which Damon was reportedly in talks to join. Damon will next start production on Ridley Scott’s The Martian and will be reteaming with Paul Greengrass for another installment in the Bourne franchise.
The last time Matt Damon and director Kenneth Lonergan worked together, the result was the well-regarded Margaret, which got stuck in release limbo for years as producers and financiers argued over its future. They’ll be hoping for an easier time of it on their next collaboration, Manchester-By-The-Sea.
Lonergan is working from a script he wrote that finds Damon as a plumber living in Boston who returns home to the titular town when he learns his brother has died. He’s landed with the responsibility of caring for his 16-year-old nephew, but a dark family tragedy from the past comes back to haunt him.
With Ender’s Game backers OddLot Entertainment providing the cash to make the film, Lonergan has worked quickly on this one, ramping up pre-production ready to kick off shooting in a month or so. Damon will be fitting the role into his schedule before he heads off to work on Ridley Scott’s sci-fi drama thriller The Martian, which itself is now recruiting the rest of the cast. Last on screen in The Monuments Men, Damon will next show up as part of Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar, which lands on November 7.
It’s become almost a yearly occurrence in the entertainment world to report on the possibility of Matt Damon returning to the Bourne franchise. To be truthful, who can really blame people for looking forward to the hint of another adventure with Jason Bourne, as the original trilogy spanned throughout almost a decade long reign of consistently intelligent espionage and fast-paced adrenaline. So it will come as no surprise to anyone that Matt Damon has gone on record yet again to say that he is open to the return of Jason Bourne, so long as Paul Greengrass comes back with him.
CNBC recently had Matt Damon on their CNBC Meets program, and as you’ll see in the interview above with host Tania Bryer, the keys to bringing him back to the table are the right story and Paul Greengrass. Mr. Damon threw in the following statement, so as to hedge his bets:“It felt like such a good way to end it the last time, but having said that I love that character… and I’d love to see what happened to him.”
While Matt Damon has always said that the story of the trilogy wrapped itself up with the end of Jason Bourne’s search for who he really was, it doesn’t seem like he’d have a problem getting into gear again to find out what happens to the man who knows everything he’s ever wanted. Come to think of it, any idea that brought him and Paul Greengrass to the table would be infinitely better than a continuation of the usually stellar Tony Gilroy’s The Bourne Legacy.
Between the film’s attempt at tying into The Bourne Ultimatum and adding yet another clandestine program gone horribly wrong, the film proved that if the Bourne series is going to even have a shot at a legacy, it’s best we just forget that the first attempt to continue it even existed. No offense against Jeremy Renner, but the Bourne franchise is, and should always will be a Matt Damon affair. If Paul Greengrass is required, then Universal would smart to trying and re-acquire Mr. Greengrass’ Memphis project as a gesture of good faith. While fast tracking its production and funding it in, the studio could exchange that favor for the next Bourne picture.
Of course, the best strategy would be for Universal to offer a “one for us, one for you” package that ensures a trilogy out of both Damon and Greengrass, as well as three other side projects that are also relevant to their interests. As long as they can come up with the right story, we could be set for another thrilling decade of Jason Bourne, and (if they can figure out how to integrate him properly) Aaron Cross.
The Monuments Men premiere at the 64th Berlinale International Film Festival, here are pictures from the Photocall, Press Conference and Premiere, thanks to Sammy from Shane West Online for the pictures!
- Appearances and Events > 2014 > 64th Berlinale International Film Festival – The Monuments Men Photocall & Press Conference – February 8th 2014
- Appearances and Events > 2014 > 64th Berlinale International Film Festival – The Monuments Men Premiere – February 8th, 2014
Premiere for The Monuments Men in New York was last night, here are pictures. The movie opens this friday on the US
- Appearances and Events > 2014 > The Monuments Men New York Premiere – February 4th, 2014
The Monuments Men promotion is on now! Here are pictures from the SiriusXM’s Town Hall.
- Appearances and Events > 2014 > SiriusXM’s Town Hall With The Cast of “The Monuments Men” – February 4th, 2014
Interview with Matt and George about The Monuments Men:
The first Trailer for The Zero Theorem is out. Looks like a crazy movie!
The Monuments Men is opening February 7th and the promotion has begun! Here are pictures from the Photocall in LA earlier today:
- Appearances and Events > 2014 > The Monuments Men Los Angeles Photocall – January 16th, 2014